Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Single's Awareness Day

Single's Awareness Day as I like to call it, along with many other single people in the world, or better known as Valentine's Day to those who have loved one's is today.
This tradition began a long time ago, during the Roman Empire, but became more spiritual following the death of St. Valentine. Valentine's Day has evolved from a day to show love in simple ways to a costly and important holiday for couples. Couples spend anywhere from $10 (middle school relationships) to upwards of $500 (my guess is married couples or serious relationships). It is the holiday with the second most amount of cards sent in the mail to loved ones. It has also developed more from couples to any sort of loved ones such as friends and family. Many parents send or give their children gifts, especially children who are single. 
Personally, I don't see the big deal about the holiday and I don't see why people think it's such a great holiday. I absolutely hate it, most likely due to my relationship status, but I like to think it brings awareness to us single folk. What happened to the good ole days called elementary school where each student passed out Valentines Day cards and candy to their classmates and it was just a friendly holiday. That is when I actually used to look forward to this day, now I dread it. I find it to be depressing and pointless. People shouldn't express their love for people on just one day a year because the calendar tells them to. People should always show their love for anyone they truly love in their lives everyday of the year. What makes our love so special on this one day? Absolutely nothing. It is just a reason for people to get gifts, cards, and feel more loved than every other day. I think it would be better for marriages and relationships to spread out the gifts, cards, and love throughout the year and always keeping them surprised and interested. Also, what is the point in generalizing the holiday for everyone? It isn't and we single people accept it and accept the pity love and gifts we get from people we are non-romantic with. So here is to all those with a special someone in your life, enjoy today, but don't forget to show your love every other day of the year. 

4 comments:

  1. Really though? What's the point of Valentine's Day? I don't see anyone that ends up in a much happier relationship because of Valentine's Day, and it just makes us singles remember that we are just that, singles. Seems like those who are in couples are either teed up to spend way too much money on something pretty stupid, or end up with a worse relationship at the end of the (Valentine's) day. And as you mentioned, ever since we left elementary school we've only gotten real Valentine's gifts based on relationships rather than just everyone getting one. A friend who I have no intentions of getting in a relationship with gave me a valentine earlier tonight, and I hope they are going to be just fine with a 'thank you', because that's all they're going to get from me. And yes, I do feel kind of bad about that. This is a stupid holiday. I guess I kind of win, but I end up feeling bad about myself -- just like the singles and boyfriends who got the wrong kinds of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree I think instead of showing an inordinate and excessive amount of love one day it would be better to spread it out over the year. I think one of the writers suggested spending less on days when gifts are expected and surprising them when gifts are not expected. My take on it, surprise them by giving them nothing on valentine's day and give them something the day after...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, you express a middle position on the holiday, neither wholly negative, but neither positive either. The basic critique of the holiday seems to be that it is silly to set aside one day of the year, that it takes away from the rest of the year. I definitely agree with this--it IS silly to set aside just one day. No doubt you are also correct that for most people, the holiday will either be an irritating reminder of what they don't have, or just an artificial celebration.

    But even if some people do it wrong, isn't there always a case for setting aside one day a year to celebrate something? Can't we have it both ways, engaging in the holiday in a non-commercial way one day and then giving gifts at other times of year when they are more valuable.

    In other words, I think it would be great if everyone did reverse Valentine's or reverse Christmas: giving everyone gifts, or doing nice things for them 363 days of the year, and doing nothing, or doing non-commercial things the rest of the year. But doesn't the holiday exist because that is unrealistic?

    I think Chris's solution is a good happy medium: do stuff the rest of the year, while especially emphasizing the non-commercial aspects on the actual holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems to me that one of the main reason people get so upset about Valentine's Day is because they assume it is only for romantic couples. I do agree that a lot of the focus of this holiday is placed on relationships, but I also think that Valentine's Day offers us an opportunity to show our love appreciation, and care for others, not just your romantic partner. February 14th, Valentine's Day exists not as "Single's Awareness Day" or "Romantic Couples Day." Relish in the spirit of the holiday and not the consumerism that today's marketing pushes.

    ReplyDelete