Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Who Will It Be?

As the whole world knows Pope Benedict XVI has resigned, being the first to do so in centuries. Most Popes are Pope until death. So now all the Cardinals who are eligible to vote (younger than 80) are eligible to vote in the Conclave. There are over 100 Cardinals attending, where they will discuss who should be the next Pope and then vote on it.
The media of course is already weighing in on who it should be. Some of the favorites are Cardinal Timothy Dolan of the U.S. (who I'm personally hoping for), as well as Mark Ouellet of Canada, Peter Turkson of Ghana and many others. Who ever the Conclave chooses will have a lot to look forward to in the future. Technically, the Pope doesn't have to be one of the Cardinals, it can be any baptized male so that means it could very well be me. However, I strongly doubt that it would me, but I would make a darn good Pope if I do say so.
However, one must look to the favorite options. I think that it would be in the church's best interest to pick someone not from Europe to increase the diversity of the church and to promote non-European expansion of the Catholic church. Being a Catholic, I strongly favor advancing the Catholic church. It says that there are more conservative than liberal leaning cardinals than before so there is no chance of the church "modernizing" its stances on abortion, gay marriage, and other religious affiliated political and moral issues. While, I agree with the church's stances on said items, I believe that they need to become either more modern or accepting or even more transparent with their specific beliefs. If a younger and non-European Pope was to be elected the Papacy and church would look different and possibly gain back parishioners and expand the Catholic church and make it more appealing to younger generations and more cultures.

4 comments:

  1. I think you are right: this is an important moment for the Church when they will have the opportunity to define their future trajectory. Benedict was always seen as a "transitional" Pope because of his age. I doubt, as you say, that we will see serious doctrinal reform (and this is what some of the more radical, grassroots reformers would like). The hierarchy is somewhat conservative, due in part to some of the reforms in the election process. So the most radical thing we can expect is for a non-European Pope to be elected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Catholic Church is at defining moment for most modern history, the election of a new Pope is a huge decision. But, I don't feel that this election is really going to make much difference when it comes to the lengthy, conservative history the Catholic faith has held for so long. I think that change through the Papacy is about as likely as Congress agreeing on a controversial issue: it probably won't happen, but if it does the changes will be small.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Cardinal Dolan! I think he has the charisma and ability to interact with the media that could help jumpstart Catholicism and help it grow with younger people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nick for Pope! My only problem is would having a Pope from the U.S. really increase diversity? With the majority of Catholics not in the U.S. or Europe wouldn't it be more beneficial to have one from either Africa or South America?

    ReplyDelete