Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Fraternity Not A Frat

As a member of a Fraternity this is very important to me. Greek life is more than people just think. It isn't just a group of drinking buddies, a group of similar interests, or a group of random guys. I can find all of that in school with friends, clubs, and my hall.

The stigmas associated with Fraternities are what I would describe as a Frat. A Frat is a bunch of guys who drink together and rage together and have fun. They do things in their everyday life which could be considered a TFM (Total Frat Move). While sure, some things that are associated with a Frat are part of a fraternity. Its only part of it, just like Frat is only a part of the word fraternity. Frats dress fratastic, and yes I do dress fratty it is simply the culture of it.

A fraternity is a brotherhood. I know I can always count on my brothers and can trust them. Sure we might live the frat life, but we also live our lives like a true brotherhood. It is filled with trust, bonding, and brotherly love. These brothers are my life and some of my closest friends. It builds character, morals, experience, and leadership. All things that are critical to the real world and substantial to leading a successful life. It helps build relations with immediate brothers, other fraternal brothers, and alumni. These connections help to further ones life and get ahead of the game. All in all joining a fraternity was the best decision of my life and I wouldn't want it any other way. I am a member of Beta Theta Pi and I am in a fraternity, not a frat.

1 comment:

  1. A spirited defense of the fraternity. So according to this account, is Greek Life the most general term, with both frat culture and fraternity culture component portions (along with sororities I suppose, although what is the female equivalent of the frat--the sor?) I wonder if the stigma associated with Greek life is diminishing over time. Perhaps as college becomes more inclusive and gender norms become less rigid the frat will increasingly evolve into the fraternity? Perhaps also it is just a function of the particular college and chapter, and there will always be the extremes of both frat and fraternity. But in either case, it's an interesting distinction that you draw.

    ReplyDelete